For details of curriculum information please select the relevant team from the menu options on the right and then choose the subject you wish to view.
The Curriculum at York High School
Our curriculum is designed to challenge students to improve their Resilience, Aspiration and in doing so become even more successful. We passionately believe that high quality teaching coupled with a broad and balanced curriculum; studying subjects which allow students to develop a rounded skillset is vital in preparing students to be successful members of society. We therefore aim to fulfill the following principles:
- To provide a curriculum that is tailored to the needs of our learners; ensuring that all learners, whether those who are gifted and talented, or those with special educational needs and disabilities, are challenged and supported to achieve their very best.
- To engage our students in the classroom and develop them into active learners who ask thought provoking questions to further develop their learning.
- To ensure that our students develop strategies to commit their learning to memory in order that they are fully prepared for the demands of the reformed GCSE’s and renewed focus on terminal examinations.
- To ensure that our students benefit from a curriculum which ensures they secure the best possible academic outcomes at the end of Y11.
- To equip our students with the necessary skills for their futures Post 16. This is delivered through individual subjects but also includes the Careers, advice and guidance which is delivered through our Aspirations programme that runs throughout the school.
- To promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
Structure and organisation of the Curriculum
Key Stage 3 (Years 7-9)
The Key Stage 3 Curriculum consists of the following subjects:
English, Maths, Science, Geography, History, French or Spanish, RS, PE, Computing, Music, Drama, Art, Food Technology, Design Technology and Personal Development.
Key Stage 4 (Years 10 and 11)
The core curriculum, which all students study consists of:
English language and literature, Maths, Science, PE and Personal Development (which includes RS.)
KS4 students also study 4 further optional subjects which must include 1 of:
Computing, Geography, History or French/Spanish.
This ensures that our students have a breadth and blend of subjects, which will give them the best academic chances Post 16.
The remaining 3 options are chosen from a wide range of courses which include: Art, Computing, Geography, History, French/Spanish, Religious Studies, Creative I-Media, Child Development, Health and Social Care, Sport, Drama, Music, Music Technology, Food Technology and Design Technology. More information about the Options process is available in the annual KS4 Options booklet which is provided to Y9 students to guide them in their choices for KS4. The subjects available may vary according to demand each year.
At York High School we believe that homework is essential to consolidate the learning which takes place within school and is set using our Show My Homework platform. All students and parents are provided with a login to ensure that they can access the homework which has been set. We provide a Homework club after school in the Library each evening for students who prefer to complete their homework in school where help can be provided as necessary.
You can access more information about individual subjects by clicking on the relevant link within the ‘subject list’ tab. You will also find the name and email address of each Subject Leader who will be able to answer any subject specific queries you may have.
For further general information about the Curriculum at YHS, please contact Mrs Clair Kitchen Deputy Headteacher (Teaching and Learning.)